Sunday, August 30, 2009

Days 17 & 18........Lethal Perception

Let's get down to business. I am coming to the conclusion that having a perception for people can be a very bad thing. At least, in my case, during these past few days, it has been. Let's start with Example #1....and feel free to take notes:

I have been texting with someone for over a week now. There was a movie that we both attended, about five minutes of friendly banter, then some more texting.....not as much as before, but it was still on going. This handsome man has purchased things from me, we text about furniture, and that's about it. So, to see if there is any interest there (I'm not looking for a relationship, but still.....) I extend an invitation to do something outside of visiting at my place of work or texting. I get a reply that states, pretty much, that they're busy this week (which they are), and that it isn't that, "I'm not not wanting to." Really? The downfall of this whole uneventful escapade is the fact that there hasn't been much talk about anything else except for furniture that he is purchasing. And let's face it, as much as I enjoy talking about furniture, it's not as much fun as talking about myself. :) I'm kidding, but let's get real, you can't really get to know someone in this type of setting unless you learn about them outside on a personal basis, and not on a home improving scale. The bottom line is that it is hard knowing that you are being perceived through text messaging, for the most part, where you cannot see emotions or senses of sarcasm on the screen of a Blackberry, and this, for lack of a better use of words, sucks ass. He very well could be a great guy, he certainly has amazing taste, and hopefully I will be able to surpass the technology of text messaging and get to know him in person. We'll see.

Example #2

Whoever coined the phrase, "If you think you hate everyone on the planet, talk to someone who works in retail," obviously had bad experience in the field, but they weren't completely off the mark, in fact, they were quite close. It's hard to travel through a journey of finding happiness when there are some hateful people in this world. Take a mother and her son who were both in the store today with her husband and his wife looking at home accessories. I was very friendly and smiling and doing my job. There was no reason for The Mother to give me the evil eye and act as though I was getting ready to hand out the Swine Flu for Halloween. First it was, "well, if my son buys a lot of clearance items, can you take a little off the price?" "No, I can't." I tell her this and she just stares at me......awkward. It went on and on, and she thought that I was swindling them into buying all of these things at apparently what she thought to be high prices, when infact they were marked down over 60% off and consisted of merely a couple of lamps, a mirror, and a little dresser. My goodness, you would have thought that I was trying to sell them a used car at the price of a new Audi. It's this perception crap.
Her perception of me was a "sleezy" salesman. And, of course, I'm not. Which brings me to my point. It's almost like judgement. Actually, they could be given hand in hand on most levels. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Don't judge a person by their text messages. Don't judge a person because of their clothing, or job, or status, or car, or whatever. It's sad, but I realized that I do it, and that I shouldn't, and it really opens your eyes! It is insane to me to think that I have the right to assume that I am better than somebody else, only by taking them at face-value. Jeez. Just a little somthing to think about as I continue my journey.

I start classes tomorrow, wish me much luck!

Dream Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment